Thursday, September 6, 2007

Southern Challenge wrap-up

Many thanks to Maggie for hosting the Southern Challenge! It was great fun (and only 3 books, for which I thank her!)


The challenge was to read 3 books by Southern authors and I picked:
1. Between, Georgia by Joshilyn Jackson
2. Miss Julia Speaks her Mind by Ann B. Ross
3. Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry

The best book? They were all really good, but I just loved Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind - it was truly delightful.

Any new authors? All of them. I'll definitely be reading more of Joshilyn Jackson and the Miss Julia series.

Book I could have done without? None of them. Hannah Coulter probably isn't a book I'd have picked up without the challenge, but I was glad I did. And that's what challenges are for, right? Broadening one's reading horizons! :)

What I learned from this challenge: Well, I already knew I enjoyed Southern literature, but I'd stayed mostly in the chick lit/romance vein, so this helped me discover that there's much more to the genre. And I also came across so many new and interesting bloggers from keeping track of the challenge at Maggie Reads.

(Thanks to Book Haven and Eva for the questions!)

No comments: