Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Orbis Terrarum Challenge



Dang, I've gotten myself into another one. But I was just saying to myself the other day that I mostly read female American and British authors and I should really break out of that. And then I found this one from a link at A Novel Challenge!

So, the challenge is to read 9 books by 9 authors, each from a different country (country of birth rather than current residence/setting of the book). Since I have so many challenges on, a few of the books are going to have to be overlapping and still American/British, but at least I'll get a few new countries/authors in.

Here's the list so far (it's subject to change):

1. Fashionably Late by Nadine Dajani (Lebanon)
2. Indie Girl by Kavita Daswani (Hong Kong)
3. Late Nights on Air by Elizabeth Hay (Canada)
4. Nights of Rain and Stars by Maeve Binchy (Ireland)
5. On Beauty by Zadie Smith (England)
6. Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (Iran)
7. Theft: a love story by Peter Carey (Australia)
8. A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka (Germany)
9. Silk by Alessandro Baricco (Italy)

4 comments:

bethany said...

Welcome to the challenge!!! glad to have you. I am interested in your books, especially Persepolis and A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian...I really want to read those two as well!! Welcome again, please check back on our blog when you have completed a review, or just have some interesting thoughts on your Orbis Terrarum books!! Can't wait to see what you have to say.

raidergirl3 said...

yah! you've joined as well. Still lots of women writers on your list. I don't tend read as many women writers as men, I wonder why.
I've read the Binchy and Persepolis, both excellent. Binchy is even better for me than Kinsella.
I so wanted the tractor book to be from Ukraine. Looking forward to your reviews.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Yay! We're such challenge buddies. :)

Yeah, still lots of women. Some of my other challenges do have men, though, and I was happy to find the Peter Carey book to include for Australia, it sounds really good. And maybe my 9th one will be a man. But at least I can get a more international scope, so I'm happy to start there. Maybe there'll be a gender challenge one of these days! :)

tinylittlelibrarian said...

And yes, I wanted it to be from the Ukraine, too! :)

Although a lot of these books aren't set where the author is from at all. The Lebanese one is in Canada/Cuba and the Hong Kong author is ethnically Indian and the book takes place in the US. And Nights of Rain and Stars by our beloved Binchy is, of course, in Greece.