Thursday, July 9, 2009

Review: Sundays at Tiffany's


Sundays at Tiffany's by James Patterson and Gabrielle Charbonnet

2 stars

Reasons for reading: Turned out the book I'd taken on a trip was one I'd already read (darn British titles being changed in North America!), so I picked this up at the drugstore based on my Holly Golightly-like love for Tiffany's; it ended up accidentally being my 2nd James Patterson book so is now on my Seconds Challenge list

Barnes & Noble Summary: "Jane grew up very rich and very lonely. Her mother was much too busy with her Broadway theater company to be close to her nervous, introspective daughter. In fact, Jane had only one true friend, and he was imaginary. For years, "Michael" nurtured her in her solitude, amusing and comforting her with jokes and camaraderie. Decades later, Jane is still lonely and, though she is a successful playwright, still chained to her mother. Then one day, as if magically, Michael reappears. And this time he's real… "

My thoughts: This was an little odd book. Mr. Thriller Patterson teaming up with a children's author? Strange. I was intrigued by the premise, it's a cute idea - an imaginary friend coming back into one's life as an adult. But it's never really explained why Michael comes back, why Jane remembered him when all other kids forget, what exactly he is and why he's suddenly human... I guess the answer is supposed to be that they're soul-mates and it's all about the power of love, which is a theme I'm in favour of, but the whole thing was just a bit too lightweight for me.

The verdict: Romance and soul-mates, yay! New York theatre people, yay! Afternoons spent at Tiffany's and then hot fudge sundaes at a swanky hotel, yay! But overall...meh.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way about this one, but gave it 3 stars. It was an average book for me. But to be honest, Patterson usually is for me. I have never really been wowed by him. He's good for light, shallow reading.

Anonymous said...

I loved this book, but like stacybuckeye said. I am a light, shallow reader. ;)

tinylittlelibrarian said...

Well, I'm totally shallow, too, don't get me wrong! :) I just wanted a little bit more of an explanation, that's all.

Anonymous said...

tinylittlelibrarian ~ I totally get wanting an explanation. I think for me, I was enjoying the wonderment of it all. Hope that makes sense. The hazy details seemed to fit the book for me.

tinylittlelibrarian said...

JKaye - well, wonderment is certainly not a bad thing, it's very charming usually. I was reading it during a very hard time, so maybe I wasn't in the mood for wonder. :)

Angee said...

I just finished reading the book and randomly stumbled upon your blog.

I thought it was a perfect feel-good novel for a lazy summer afternoon. Though I was a little bothered by the whole having sex with your imaginary friend thing...I mean...how weird! Michael was the one who said in the beginning he felt like a "Dad" to Jane....

Great blog btw :)!