Friday, February 6, 2009

Meme: The Bookshelf

Raidergirl has tagged me for a meme that was created by Eva at A Striped Armchair.

(I've only used a few original pics because most books I read come from the library or an Amazon picture was just as good.)

The book that’s been on my shelf the longest: I actually went and searched the shelves at my parents' place, I hope that counts - I don't have anything that interesting on my shelves at home now. There were quite a few contenders, including some Little Golden Books that are little more than tape and crayon scribbles now. But finally, I found the one below, complete with an inscription of 8 May 1975, from friends of my grandma. It must have been a shower gift or shortly thereafter - I was a preemie and had to stay in hospital for months - I came home at the end of April 1975.

Flipping through it, I particularly recalled the image of the little girl with the curl in the middle of her forehead. I still like the rhyme and can relate to being both good and horrid. :-)

A book that reminds me of something specific in my life (a person, a place, a time, etc.): The one that comes to mind is Lolita, oddly. It brings to mind very specifically the years of my undergrad English degree. I can remember sitting on the bus on the way to school, being intrigued by the writing but horrified by the subject matter. I read quite a few classics for pleasure during those years, pretty much the last time that happened! (Though I do try and squeeze in the odd one.)


A book I acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used bookstore, prize, etc.): Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind is an example of serendipity in a used bookstore. I'd read a good review of the series and put it on the massive TBR list. Months later I happened upon it in a used bookstore in a little town we often visit in the summer, remembered it was on the list, and so picked it up. And now I just love, love the series!


A book that’s been with me to the most places: I haven't lived that many places! The only one I can think of is my old copy of Anne of Green Gables, from my parents, circa 1986. I recently rescued it from the folks' basement, so it's lived 2 places, but I can also remember taking it with me on a cross-Canada trip my family took when I was a kid.


The most recent addition to my shelves: I don't buy very many books, actually. But I received Uncle John's Quintessential Collection of Notable Quotables from my best friend (who knows that husband and I like a good laugh) for Christmas.


A bonus book that I want to talk about but doesn’t fit into the other questions: That would be Rivals by Jilly Cooper - my favourite of her books, one I've read over and over and could still read over and over. It contains the reformation of her divinely dishy rake, Rupert Campbell-Black, into a man in love with a good woman. And lots of Cotswold stone houses. And shagging.



Here are the meme rules:

  1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
  2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
  3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
  4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
  5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc.

    So, I tag...

    Janssen at Everyday Reading

    Suey at It's All About Books

    Maggie at Maggie Reads


    (Sorry if any of you have done it and I missed it!)

1 comment:

maggie moran said...

Why, thanks for the fun meme! This is one I'll have to think on. Hum...