Saturday, January 10, 2009

Worst Books of 2008

Figured I'd start from the bottom up. :-) Of course, these are the worst books for me, because I didn't enjoy them. They may do quite well for others, but they didn't float my boat.

1. Food and Loathing: a lament by Betsy Lerner - Lerner is pretty unlikeable and I really felt I'd wasted my time slogging through a book where the only message of hope is basically that the best you can hope for is life to be just okay.

2. The Devil of Nanking by Mo Hayder - Well-written and a good story, but way too many horrifying and disgusting situations for me.

3. Monsieur Pamplemousse and the Militant Midwives by Michael Bond - Disappointing because I was expecting so much more from the creator of Paddington Bear! I g0t the impression this was a quickie installment in a long-running series, perhaps the earlier ones are better. There were a few funny bits, but it just seemed too dashed-off.

4. Real Vampires Have Curves by Gerry Bartlett - This one I do have a quarrel with the writing style - there was SO MUCH repetition of the basic facts it got really, really annoying. I wanted to like it, this mixture of vamp story, chick lit and bodice-ripper, but it really felt like either the author thought I was an idiot or she thought her main character was.

5. Down the Nile by Rosemary Mahoney - Nonfiction usually isn't my thing, so I have a bit of bias there. But her whole journey seemed rather pointless to me and it seemed to have made her pretty miserable, so what was the point of writing the book?

6. Elements of Style by Wendy Wasserstein - Felt dated, hateful characters and an ending that leaves no spark of brightness for the future.

No comments: