Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Young Adult Challenge Wrap-Up



Finished! Thanks to Joy for hosting it!

My books were:

1.Fairest by Gail Carson Levine
2.Naomi & Ely's No-Kiss List by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
3.10 Things to do Before I Die by Daniel Ehrenhaft
4.The Poison Apples by Lily Archer
5.Aurelia by Anne Osterlund
6.Derby Girl by Shauna Cross
7.Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen
8.Fancy White Trash by Marjetta Geerling
9.The Angel Experiment by James Patterson
10.Artichoke's Heart by Suzanne Supplee
11.Princess Academy by Shannon Hale
12.Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson

Favourite: Ooo, that's a toughie. But I gave the highest marks, 4.5 stars to Naomi and Ely's No-Kiss List and I'd say it's my fave - the characters, the writing, the Buffy references, the two-author technique...I loved it all. I'd say the runner-up is Artichoke's Heart because I could really relate to it and because I found Suzanne Supplee a fresh new voice on the YA scene.

Least favourite: Aurelia. Not because it was bad, but I'd already read Fairest and Princess Academy, which were good, and I'd had enough of the princess/ye olde fairy tale setting thing. 10 Things To Die Before I Die was at the bottom, too, because too much was squeezed into a short book and the ending was too After School Special-ish.

Overall, though, I didn't hate any of the books and didn't give any of them less than 3 stars. This was a perfect challenge for me, as I read YA all the time and am always finding new ones to add to the TBR list as I order them for the library. I'm looking forward to the 2009 one already!

No comments: