Thursday, May 24, 2007

Something About Me Challenge

Here's another one, the Something About Me Challenge.

The goal is to pick 5 books that represent you in some way, post them on the Something About Me blog, and then choose from others' booklists about them. A fun way to learn about yourself and others in the blogosophere. And from my list I think we can learn that I'm not very deep, they're all light books. But I suppose that is actually something about me - I figure there's enough hard, sad stuff in life without reading about it in my leisure time.

See what else you can glean about me from these...

Angry Housewives Eating Bon-Bons by Lorna Landvik
I belong to a book club of great women, like the ladies in this book. And this was one of the few books that all of our members really enjoyed. Also, it's set in Minnesota, which is where my husband's from and I love visiting there every summer.

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
My childhood favourite! I really identified with Anne (and still do) - I was adopted, I had a big imagination and loved to read, and I hated my name. I even had puffed sleeves on my graduation dress (looking back, a fashion mistake but I loved it at the time). And as I read the sequels and got older, I developed a literary crush on Gilbert Blythe.

Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
Ah, the mother of all chick lit! I love Bridget - her calorie-counting, her "v. goods" and "v. bads," her embarassing moments... Like her, I feared that I'd die alone and be eaten by an Alsatian. I'm also a huge Anglophile, so I really enjoy the Britishness of Bridge. (Again, literary crush material in Mark Darcy, who is almost as crushable as the original Pride and Prejudice Darcy.)

Lucy Crocker 2.0 by Caroline Preston
Not one of my all-time faves, a fun enough read. I chose this one because Lucy is a former children's librarian and she designs a popular video game. I love computer games (particularly the Sims and EverQuest) and I'm a children's librarian, so there you are. (I fortunately don't have all of the troubles Lucy has with her husband and kids, though.)

The Gallery of Regrettable Food by James Lileks
Hilarious!! Lileks is a (sadly former) columnist for the Minneapolis Star Tribune and also an avid collector of old books, postcards, pamphlets, etc. Husband and I started out laughing at them on his web site (http://www.lileks.com/) and were delighted when he started turning them into books. In this one, he comments on horrifying recipes from 50's cookbooks. There's lots of gelatine, hard-boiled eggs made to look like penguins, and the choice between "cheesy meat dishes" or "meaty cheese dishes."

No comments: