Thursday, November 8, 2007

Quill Awards

Via Sam Houston's Book Chase blog. You should visit him because he's a book-related news-collector extraordinaire!

But I started to comment on his blog and then found I had a lot to go on and on about, so I moved back here.

So, here's the blurb about the Quills (which were last month, I'm behind): "The Quills, an initiative launched with the support of Reed Business Information and NBC, is an industry-qualified “consumers choice” awards program for books. The Quills celebrates the best adult and children's books of the year in 19 popular categories, ranging in everything from biography to general fiction to cookbooks and graphic novels."

This came as something of a revelation to me - awards based on books people actually enjoy reading! Not just "worthy" titles that always seem like punishment-reading to me. I realize that it's probably too "commercialized" for literary artistes and I'm sure they're not all great works. But it's refreshing to see a list of books that I've a) heard of and b) actually read and enjoyed. Well, some of them. AND that there are categories other than "Worthy, Depressing Literary Fiction." Romances - gasp! Humor - oh my stars!

The complete list of nominees is here. I was impressed to find that I'd read:

Natural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips (romance) - it was indeed a charmer.

I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence by Amy Sedaris (humor) - definitely funny; one of the most different and bizarre books I've ever read (It's also nominated for audio book, which I find weird, since it's got tons of illustrations and recipes scattered throughout, though it would be cool to hear her read it.)

Infidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali (current events/politics) - one of the most thought-provoking books I've read in a while.

Flotsam by David Weisner (picture books) - his usual stunning artwork.

Orange Pear Apple Bear by Emily Gravett (picture books) - one of my fave picture books of the year, adorable and deceptively simple. (I loved her Monkey and Me, too!)

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (YA) - Just finished this one, it was amazing! (Review coming soon).

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield (debut author) - a fabulous debut, and I know lots of book bloggers agree!

Of course, that scary The Road won in General Fiction. I must say that one will never be for me. But others have really thought it was wonderful, I know, so I'm sure it deserved it. There are a few "worthies" on the list, but overall, I must say it's a nice change of pace.

No comments: